Sunday, May 1, 2011

Jammin’ With The Partyman

Jammin’ With The Partyman
So … let me tell you about my night last night. I have been to my fair share of Prince concerts over the years and I am planning to attend many more in the future … but last night’s show will stand out in my mind as one of the most fun, one of the [...]

So … let me tell you about my night last night. I have been to my fair share of Prince concerts over the years and I am planning to attend many more in the future … but last night’s show will stand out in my mind as one of the most fun, one of the most mind-blowing concerts I’ve ever attended. I have to make clear, EVERY Prince concert is special and magical … but sometimes, the setlist just comes together so perfectly for that night that … lifelong memories are made. David and I attended last night’s Prince concert at the LA Forum with our dear friend David Russell and we had THE time of our lives.


I honestly never go into any Prince show with any expectations … because I’ve been to enough shows to know by now that anything is possible. Before the show started, the Davids and I were talking about songs we wanted to hear. David Russell’s fave Prince song is 17 Days and he was hoping but not counting on hearing it. My David wanted to hear Let’s Go Crazy. I knew, somehow, that both songs would be performed … I don’t know how, it was just a gut feeling. It’s not uncommon for Prince to perform Let’s Go Crazy so that wasn’t tough to foresee … but Prince very rarely does 17 Days and, yet, he did it for us last night. With my O(+> tambourine in hand, I just let the music flow over me and I was just in heaven. I will say the song that literally made me JUMP and DANCE and SCREAM my head off was Partyman (From the Batman soundtrack) … one of my fave songs that I’ve never heard performed live in concert before. There’s really no way to truly explain what a Prince concert is like if you’ve never been to one. There are no artist out there … NONE … who puts on a show like Prince. I’ve seen people raise their hands in ecstasy while partaking of religious services … when I am at a Prince concert, I know what that feels like … and my hands go in the air. I banged my tambourine so hard, my hand is a bit swollen … but I am very much looking forward to going back to The Forum tonight to see Prince do it all over again :D But … I don’t want to get ahead of myself. Check out the setlist from last night’s show. Prince played for about 3 1/2 hours and came back on stage for 5 encores … FIVE!

Setlist:

Joy In Repetition
Brown Skin (India.Arie cover)
17 Days
Lovergirl (Teena Marie cover)
Shhhh
Controversy
Which Way Is Up
What Have U Done 4 Me Lately
Partyman
It’s Alright
Make U Feel My Love
Misty Blue
Let’s Go Crazy
Delirious
1999
Little Red Corvette

Encore 1:

Purple Rain

Encore 2:

The Bird
Jungle Love
A Love Bizarre

Encore 3:

Kiss

Encore 4:

Play That Funky Music
Hollywood (Inglewood) Swinging
Fantastic Voyage (Lakeside cover)

Encore 5:

More Than This (Roxy Music cover)

The show started at 9:55pm and did not totally end until about 12:30am. It was just … magic. I am SO excited to go back for another show tonight … this time with Angie and Ollie. I’ll be icing my hand today so that it’ll be ready to bang my tambourine again at tonight’s show. If you live in LA and you miss seeing Prince at one of his 21 Night Stand shows (tickets start at $25 — all fees included) then you are really — honest to the gods — doing yourself a disservice.

Happy Friday, Happy Weekend!!




Ciara
Blake Lively
Scarlett Johansson

No comments:

Post a Comment