Friday, July 30, 2010

Is The FogHorn In ‘Inception’ A Clue To The Film’s Meaning?

Is The FogHorn In ‘Inception’ A Clue To The Film’s Meaning?
Okay … if you have not yet seen Inception, this post is not for you. Trust me, I had to wait a full week to see Inception and I did everything possible to stay away from all spoilers until I was finally able to see the film for myself. If you have seen Inception, then [...]

Okay … if you have not yet seen Inception, this post is not for you. Trust me, I had to wait a full week to see Inception and I did everything possible to stay away from all spoilers until I was finally able to see the film for myself. If you have seen Inception, then this is something you might want to check out …


… now, naturally, if you’ve not seen the movie then you have no idea what the “foghorn sound” is but you may have heard it in the movie trailer for the film. If you have seen Inception and are curious as to what the sound might mean to the film, you’re gonna wanna check out the video clip that is hiding after the jump


The inclusion of the Edith Piaf song was already kind of a filmic meta-joke, since Marion Cotillard (who plays Mal) won an Oscar for playing Piaf in La Vie en Rose. The fact that the Evil Foghorn sound (which plays over the very beginning of the movie, and returns frequently) is actually a slowed-down version of the song could mean quite a few things. Most noticeably, since “Non, je ne regrette rien” is the song the Dream Team uses as their wake-up call, and since the lower dream-levels slow down time…well, this certainly adds a new layer to our burning questions about the ending.

There are so many layers to this film — both in the film itself and in the viewers point of view of the film as the watch the film — that it’s hard not to have your head explode as new information like this becomes available. I had a feeling the deep booming foghorn had more meaning than just being a very cool sound … but I had no idea it was actually the slowed down Edith Piaf song used in the film as the wake-up call. Is it possible that the entire movie is meant to be a dream within a dream within a dream within a dream? I mean, why not, right? Do any of y’all have any other Inception theories? Is there anything else that I might be missing?

[Source]




Rihanna
Jordana Brewster
Jennifer Love Hewitt

No comments:

Post a Comment