Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Prince Begins Work On His Next Album

Prince Begins Work On His Next Album
Prince may have just released his most recent album 20TEN for free in Europe this month but the purple one is already hard at work on his next batch of songs for release. Prince, a huge fan of Minnesota Public Radio station 89.3 The Current, invited a reporter from the station to his home at [...]

Prince may have just released his most recent album 20TEN for free in Europe this month but the purple one is already hard at work on his next batch of songs for release. Prince, a huge fan of Minnesota Public Radio station 89.3 The Current, invited a reporter from the station to his home at Paisley Park to preview not only his latest album 20TEN but a few new songs being worked on for his next album. Prince may have some funny ideas about the Internet but the man has not slowed in his prolificness for releasing new music:

“Isn’t the sky beautiful tonight?” asked Prince as he welcomed me warmly into his Paisley Park studio complex in Chanhassen on a warm May evening. Entering the famous sanctuary, I literally had no idea what was in store for me that night … I found myself being shown around by Prince himself, resplendent in white shoes, white pants, white shirt and looking in person 20 years younger than his age of 52. After checking my computer and cell phone at the door, Prince took me into Studio A and sat me in front of the big console and a ton of recording gear. “I’ve finished my next album, but first I want to play you some songs from the next record that I’ve been working on,” he said, as he cued up a gorgeous track with an epic chorus a la “Hey Jude” with Prince working the multi-track mix on the fly. Then he played me “Hot Summer,” the second song that The Current world debuted in June 2010. “I think this one has a B-52′s feel to it,” said Prince, as his ode to our precious short MN summers played loudly on the huge studio monitors. Just like any excited and nervous musician sharing his new music, he bounced around the studio, adjusting the mix and yelling ideas in my ear.

The article continues after the jump …

Then he switched over to the album he’d been working on the past few months that he said was finished. These are the tracks that have now been released in Europe as 20Ten, a CD that was included with July editions of the UK’s Daily Mirror, Germany’s edition of Rolling Stone, and other papers. While there’s still no US release information available as of today, we expect that it will be in shops later this summer – although don’t look for an iTunes type digital release, in his interviews before the UK Newspaper release, Prince told the world that to him “the internet is completely over.” I can say that when I was listening to the record at Paisley Park and the topic of unconventional release strategies came up and I suggested the Radiohead pay-what-you-want model, Prince shugged it off, saying “Radiohead is the best at that. I want to do something different – something that can get my music in the hands of a million people at once,” – and he wants to get paid, which he accomplished with his Euro newspaper deals on 20Ten … As to questions about spending an evening at Paisley Park with Prince… No – I wasn’t forbidden from looking him in the eye; Yes – the walls are covered with memorabilia and he did quiz me on who was portrayed in a mural of his influences on the wall outside the studio (I failed to recognize Grand Funk Railroad, who knew that would be on his wall along with Sly Stone, Miles, and Jimi?); Yes – Chappelle fans, I did see the basketball hoop, although pancakes were not served; No – we didn’t jam, though I saw his classic ‘symbol’ guitar in the studio; Yes – he is energized and glad to be back making music in Minnesota; No – he didn’t try to convert me to become a Jehovah’s Witness; Yes – he is still burning with passion for music and thinks his best is still to come. He was a gracious and friendly host, and seemed to have fun talking and listening to music. At the Current we’re proud that Prince is a member and supporter, and proud that he listens and we’re helping turn him on to new music. Until 20Ten finds a home in the US, we’re one of the few places you can hear new music from Prince, and we’re excited to hear whatever comes next from our Purple Yoda.

Click HERE to read the full interview/article … it contains a song-by-song review of 20TEN that is deff worth reading if you’re a fan of His Purple Majesty. There are so many things that I find infuriating about the way Prince operates but, at the end of the day, the music he puts always tends to overshadow everything else. 20TEN is, IMHO, the best collection of songs that he has put out in years. There are so many great tracks on the disc, I find myself listening to the whole thing at one sitting over and over and over again. There are so many shades on this album of songs that he recorded back in the 80′s … I’m just amazed it’s an album he thought he needed to give away rather than sell. To be honest, whether he charges for it or not, I will always be interested in hearing the music he puts out. I’m glad to hear that Prince is already hard at work on his next collection of songs. I just love his music so much … no matter what dumb stuff comes out of his mouth, it will always be about the music for me.

[Source]




Olivia Wilde
Megan Fox

No comments:

Post a Comment