Thursday, June 24, 2010

M.I.A. Does ‘GQ’ Magazine

M.I.A. Does ‘GQ’ Magazine
M.I.A. who has recently appeared on the covers of NME, Complex and Nylon magazines is now featured in the pages of the new issue of GQ magazine. As you might expect, M.I.A. discusses all the same sorts of things she’s been discussing in the other mags and features in yet another beautiful photospread. Here are [...]

M.I.A. who has recently appeared on the covers of NME, Complex and Nylon magazines is now featured in the pages of the new issue of GQ magazine. As you might expect, M.I.A. discusses all the same sorts of things she’s been discussing in the other mags and features in yet another beautiful photospread. Here are a few photos and some excerpts from her chat with GQ:

M.I.A. is perhaps the preeminent global musical artist of the 2000s, a truly kick-ass singer and New York-Londony fashion icon, not to mention a vocal supporter of Sri Lanka’s embattled Tamil minority, of which she’s a member. Her father was a key player in the Tamil separatist movement, and his links to the Tamil Tigers would later contribute to Maya’s rep as a terrorist sympathizer. She also has a 1-year-old son and a third album on the way. When asked about the new rec­ord, Cassette Playa (real name: Carri Munden) says simply, “It’s sick.” Shopping with Maya is fun. “I like this Sade hat … That doesn’t suit me … My head’s too small.” She’s wearing a vintage Louis Vuitton sweatshirt, black tights, and ankle boots, looking disarmingly hipster-suburban. Her moods vary from slightly pissed off to go-fuck-yourself-already, but today she’s bubbly and engaged, doing a sexy-tired southern-ingénue walk. From her song “Hombre”: My hips do the flicks as I walk, yeah. We work our way through reams of ’70s and ’80s shit that reminds me of my own immigrant past. (My parents and I emigrated from the former Soviet Union in 1979.) Taupe-colored “refugee coats.” EZ Spirit. Focus 2000. A Gitano denim coat. We get on the trendy subject of avoiding meat, and Maya says, “What are you gonna do, you know? We don’t have the luxury to even think about being vegetarians or meat eaters. We’re refugees. We’ve been dealing with normal shit, like how to stay alive.” I think to myself, The refugee is strong in this one. She buys a king’s ransom of thrift for $178.72 but still hasn’t found her perfect wedding dress. “I’ve always wanted to get married in a white suit,” she says. “I used to work at a Kodak lab in England, cutting photos after they’d come out of the wash, and in one I saw this couple getting married on a beach in white suits, and their kid was there.”

This GQ mag interview goes on for 6 pages HERE. Yeah, I’m kinda over all the interviews at this point … we never get anything new, which is fine but I just don’t need to read the same stuff over and over. I do love the photos tho. She looks fantastic … as always. I don’t mind more photos, just less of the same kind of interview.

[Source]




Giulianna Ramirez
Lori Heuring

No comments:

Post a Comment