Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Movie Review: ‘Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes’

Movie Review: ‘Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes’
Back in February we got our first look at the first promo photo from the prequel film Rise of the Planet of the Apes. Based on the description alone, I was intrigued. In April, we got to see the first trailer for the film … and I knew that I would be seeing the film [...]

Back in February we got our first look at the first promo photo from the prequel film Rise of the Planet of the Apes. Based on the description alone, I was intrigued. In April, we got to see the first trailer for the film … and I knew that I would be seeing the film as soon as possible. Yesterday, David and I saw the film and I am very happy to report that we both enjoyed it very much.


Okay, except for the TOTALLY RIDICULOUS science that is featured in the film, I loved pretty much everything about it. There are a few really clever references to the original 1968 film Planet of the Apes … which, I’m afraid, many people in the audience did not even get. The famous line “Get your paws off me you flithy ape” is uttered by Tom Felton‘s character. Tom, in case you were wondering, plays a shitty, hateful character … which seems to be his forté (as you may know, he played the very shitty Draco Malfoy in the Harry Potter films). I quite enjoyed the inventiveness of the story. In Planet of the Apes, we learn that Earth has become a planet where sentient apes are the dominant species and mankind is relegated to pets and slaves. In Rise, we learn how those events came to be. I won’t spoil the film but I will say … they did a pretty good job setting up the story. I will kinda spoil just one thing … so if you want to remain unspoiled, read no further …

… in the course of the film’s events (completely unrelated to the central story), a manned space shuttle is sent to Mars after water is found on the planet. My guess is that that is the space shuttle that returns to Earth many years later and finds the planet under the control of apes (ie. the events from the original Planet of the Apes film). Very clever, I think.

In the end, if you are a fan of the original 1968 film you might get a kick out of this fun and clever prequel. Even if you’ve never seen the original and have no frame of reference for that story, you may still enjoy Rise of the Planet of the Apes. The FX are very cool and the story is surprisingly heartfelt. I loved it, you may too.




Marisa Miller
Cat Power
Moon Bloodgood

No comments:

Post a Comment